Friday, September 4, 2009

Too Fat

During this pregnancy, I haven't exercised much discipline in the eating or working out department. With Alexander I gained somewhere in the 40 pound range, and I ate fairly healthy. After all, I worked for WIC. I couldn't exactly be telling other women about prenatal nutrition if I wasn't at least partially following my own advice. But still, I gained 40+ pounds and towards the end, had people wondering if I was having twins.

This time around, I figure if I have to be fat and miserable and have nothing good to wear, then I might as well enjoy getting there. I've helped myself to lots of extra desserts, eaten Cheez-Its at 11:30pm before going to bed, and I haven't boxed up half my plate to go at the restaurant as I know I should. Well, yesterday I had my second appointment with my midwife. As I stepped on the scale for her assistant, even I was mildly shocked to see just how much I've already gained. I'd like to think most of it went to the upper chest region or that the scale was horribly inaccurate, but my stomach and the flabby places around it are a visual contradiction of that.

My midwife eased into the subject by saying, "So do you remember how much you weighed before you got pregnant?" Of course I do. I weighed ten pounds more than I wanted to. And let's just say that extra weight wasn't sitting in the upper chest region before, either. After I cringed inside and told her my beginning weight, she said, "Well, let's just round that up to xxx pounds, and we'll say you've gained 7 pounds so far, which is perfect." That WOULD be perfect, except that my rounded up pre-pregnancy weight makes me 15-20 pounds heavier than I wanted to be, so does it feel worse to think that I was that overweight to begin with or to think that I've already gained a much bigger share of my allotment than I want to admit? All I know is that when my midwife starts tactfully manipulating my weight gain, I've obviously gained too much.

Oh well, I'm going out to dinner tonight, so maybe the discipline will start next week. It's nothing a year's worth a breastfeeding can't take care of, right?

3 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Whatever!! You always looked great pregnant. Crazy girl. And you did loose your weight breastfeeding unlike me who nursed for well over a year and nodda. It sucks gaining weight went your preggo but I still think your super cute while your pregnant and I don't feel that bad for you cuz with your family genes, you'll lose the wieght in no time...so live it up a little.

Heather said...

Hi Mary this is Heather. I hope you don't mind me finding your blog through Laura's. I am going to add you to my sidebar. If you don't want me to, let me know and I will take you off.

I wouldn't worry about the weight. You look fabulous! Last Sunday the dress you wore looked great and you look beautiful pregnant.

Sorry to say that I won't see you this Sunday at church. Ayla has come down with strep and has a rash now too. Poor thing. I hope she gets over this soon. We are going on week 2 starting this Tuesday.

I saw the pictures of your house. I love it. I can't wait to see it but I guess we should wait until all of this sickness blows over. Take care.

Sarah said...

Who is your midwife? Sound like my midwife Margie. The last few weeks with Tad I think she just glossed over my weight gain...:D

Alexander

ML's Family

Justin's Family

Vineyard Highlights