Thursday, January 27, 2011

Belated Christmas Photos



Any of you who followed the Santa saga last year probably want to know whether this was the year of disillusionment for Alexander. Now that he goes to kindergarten, I expected some of his friends to enlighten him. Apparently, Alexander doesn't care what people, including us, say. He is DEAD SET on believing in Santa. Now anytime we mention that Santa isn't real, he starts listing every religious figure we've ever taught him about as if he can somehow trip us up in our argument against Santa.

Alexander: "Well, Jesus is real."
Us: "Yes, Jesus is real."
Alexander: "Well, the Holy Ghost is real."
Us: "Yes, the Holy Ghost is real."
Alexander: "So Santa is real!"
Us: "He's just pretend."
Alexander: "NO he ISN'T!!!"

This year Alexander was insistent that we make cookies to set out for Santa, and he kept wondering how Santa would get in the house, since we don't have a chimney. We explained that Santa might just use some common sense and walk through the door.

Because I didn't want to be searching at the last minute for the one incredibly hard to find or expensive gift that Alexander wanted from Santa, we said after a certain date, he couldn't change his request. Alexander asked Santa for some sort of skateboard thing that only comes in an adult size. After Justin and I saw that we weren't going to find it in his size, I told Alexander that Santa called me and told me he didn't have the skateboard in his size, so he would bring a nice surprise instead. Alexander was a little skeptical (i.e. he thought Santa didn't call people), but I didn't leave it open to discussion.

In spite of our best intentions to put the cookies out on a cute little plate for Santa, the cookies remained in their shabby ziploc bag, which I discretely dropped in the garbage. Several days after Christmas, Alexander said, "Santa ate the cookies AND the bag!" I said, "What do you mean?" "Well the bag AND the cookies were gone." Santa may be magic and all, but someone needs to teach that guy some common sense.













4 comments:

Gold-E said...

His obsession with Santa is too funny! Might as well use it to your advantage for as long as possible (Alexander, Santa is watching! Alexander, do you know what happens to naughty boys and girls?, etc).

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Go with the Santa thing, it's the best way to get them to behave all month long. In fact Ella would remind Dan saying "daddy, you better not yell at mommy Santa wont bring you any presents, you'll be on the naughty list" It even made Dan behave for the month:)
By the time Alexander is old enough to not believe he wont care that he's not real. Just let him have his fun. I think it's hilarious you keep trying to make him not believe and he's not buying it. Sad we missed out, looks like it was a lot of fun.

Jared and Laura said...

Ahh, let the boy believe in Santa. A little disappointment in life is not so bad...might as well learn it while he's young.:)

Heather said...

Wow he is set on believing in Santa! I think you are handling it very well. When he gets older and looks back he will remember you telling him that Christ and the Holy Ghost are real and that Santa is not. He then wont have to question if they are real because Santa is not.

Thanks for lunch a week ago! I had a good time with you and Laura!

Alexander

ML's Family

Justin's Family

Vineyard Highlights