Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tea Parties Are for Sissies


As a young child, I was usually sorely disappointed when I opened a present that contained clothing. Now, I can't seem to get enough of it, especially shoes. One of my favorite things to do is shop! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately--I haven't decided which yet) it seems to be rubbing off on Alexander. As soon as we walk into a clothing store now he says, "Let's go look at the clothes in my size!" Last night we were killing time at Nordstrom Rack while we waited to go see a movie. After wandering around the store with Justin for a little while, Alexander came up to me crying, and I got a few amused looks from fellow shoppers when he said, "Daddy said there's no pants in my size at this store!"

But there is no need to worry that I'm turning my son into a sissy. Never mind the fact that he once insisted on buying his own set of lip gloss or that last week he chose to get the tea set at IKEA instead of the train set so that he could have a tea party like his cousin Ella has. His daddy and his uncles keep him in line. Alexander's uncles have no qualms about letting him know when he's being a "sissy". In fact, his very masculine uncle Jared couldn't resist giving Alexander a hard time and said he didn't know why the tea set was even an option.

To further set your minds at ease, in spite of the occasional displays of sissy behavior, Alexander definitely takes after Justin's side of the family with his love of sports. His first word was "ball", and he absolutely LOVES playing any sport with the big boys. So, in between shopping trips and tea parties with the girls, Alexander has a few opportunities to develop his masculine traits as well.

2 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Little sissy boy, can come have a tea party with Ella-bella anytime he wants to!! I love the fact that he likes to shop! It makes it a heck of a lot nicer for you when you are out and about. I am going to copy your idea of the slide shows of the families and post them on mine. Can I have the picture of Anner and Ella when she was brand new? Also one of you guys family pic. I love that idea! Ella kept watching them over and over again! She had a ball!!

Jared and Laura said...

Good ol' Anner-Benanner...Jared's just jealous that he doesn't have a tea set.

Alexander

ML's Family

Justin's Family

Vineyard Highlights