Thursday, May 15, 2008

Random Highlights from the Week

--One of the perks of having a toddler (or maybe just a boy) is that you get to have never-ending conversations about poop and bums (the anatomical kind). You never know if you should teach the child the real words or some sort of nonsensical code word that only you know the meaning of. There are parents who think it's ridiculous not to teach the child the real words for certain body parts; but if you do, you risk being humiliated in public by questions like, "Mommy, does HE have a weenie?" The topic of this week's ongoing "bum focus" was birds. After finding bird poop on the car, Alexander wanted to know if and why birds have bums.

--Three-year-olds make much better shopping companions than husbands. Yesterday, as I was in the fitting room with Alexander trying to squeeze myself into some really cute and really expensive but discounted name-brand jeans (which even discounted I couldn't really afford), Alexander said, "Mommy, those look cute on you. You should get them!" Had Justin been there, he most likely would have said, "Why do you need another pair of jeans?" Don't worry, Justin, I didn't buy them--but only because they were too tight.

--Did you know that ears and noses are the only parts of our bodies that never stop growing? I didn't know if I believed it at first, but after working in audiology, I've seen a few pairs of ears to which I would have liked to hold up a ruler. Today I saw the most ginormous fleshy mass of a nose. It made even the biggest noses I can think of look pretty. Imagine a lumpy, bumpy, flesh-colored pear in the place where a nose should be, and you're starting to get the picture. I didn't know noses could get so big, and since I already have twice the nose I really want (from birth--It hasn't grown that much yet.), that's a scary thought!

4 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

All those comments made me laugh out loud!! Boys and their bums! I guess they never really get over that one! Awwww! Alexander is an ego booster! Boys are so good to their mommies! I've have seen a nose like that before, kind of freak-ish, I wanted to poke it to see if it was real! Funny stuff ML!

Anonymous said...

AHhh, so funny. I think you just might have a little smary pants on your hands! He's curious and wants to understand it all. Must take after his mom!

Gold-E said...

I leave Vic home from those kind of shopping trips too, I just need to get a little guy to give me such great compliments in the dressing room :D

EB said...

Alexander sounds very entertaining. I wish we lived closer so he and Gaelyn could get to know each other! I actually didn't know until today that my blog was public but, oh well. Feel free to link it. I linked yours too. Hope you guys are all well!

Alexander

ML's Family

Justin's Family

Vineyard Highlights