Every once in awhile I am caught off guard by something a total stranger has said to me. Today I was in the grocery store parking lot unloading my bags from the cart into my trunk. Alexander was standing in the cart chattering away. I was only half attending to him since my mind was occupied with never-ending, mundane "To Do" lists. I was answering his questions without really listening to what he was saying. Then I heard, "You have a cute son." I turned, and the woman getting into the car next to mine said, "I gave mine up a few weeks ago. It's sad..." How do you respond to that? To be honest, from the looks of her, my first thought was, "That's probably a good thing." As she drove off, I thought about it more, and I was reminded of something that I think Pop, my grandpa, told me years ago. He said his father used to say, "There but for the grace of God go I." I realized that I should be grateful that my life has gone the way it has. I'm thankful that I have a cute, healthy son and that I'm physically and mentally able to take care of him.
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Grace
Every once in awhile I am caught off guard by something a total stranger has said to me. Today I was in the grocery store parking lot unloading my bags from the cart into my trunk. Alexander was standing in the cart chattering away. I was only half attending to him since my mind was occupied with never-ending, mundane "To Do" lists. I was answering his questions without really listening to what he was saying. Then I heard, "You have a cute son." I turned, and the woman getting into the car next to mine said, "I gave mine up a few weeks ago. It's sad..." How do you respond to that? To be honest, from the looks of her, my first thought was, "That's probably a good thing." As she drove off, I thought about it more, and I was reminded of something that I think Pop, my grandpa, told me years ago. He said his father used to say, "There but for the grace of God go I." I realized that I should be grateful that my life has gone the way it has. I'm thankful that I have a cute, healthy son and that I'm physically and mentally able to take care of him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comment:
Hey! I love your blog! There is something about friends' blogs that allow us to stay in touch without actually staying in touch. Its weird. Do you care if I link to your blog?
Post a Comment